What are Strange Coins and How to Spend them?
Posted in destiny
Strange Coins are a form of currency in Destiny that you can trade in for the best weapons. These Exotic weapons can be purchased from the Black Market in exchange for "Strange Coins" but timing is important because the vendor only appears on certain days.
A lot of players discard their coins simply because they don't understand the importance of Strange Coins in Destiny. These suckers are a great way to get your mitts on the Exotic weapons that everyone's talking about so make sure you save them up.
A final note before the details. Strange Coins really come into play once you reach Level 20 and you start progressing your Light Levels. Without a high level you'll find it impossible to partake in the weekly heroic or the higher level Strikes on Venus. So if you're a lower level, keep playing and stash away those Coins when you come across them....they'll be waiting for you once you reach the 20's.Tip:
Looking for the best way to get Coins? See this new method to get unlimited Strange Coins from Xur
How to earn Strange Coins?
Strange Coins are incredibly rare and collecting them through random events takes a long time. The best way to guarantee Coins is to complete the weekly Heroic mission on the highest level. This will reward you with 9 coins which is enough to buy Exotic armour straight away.
Lower level players have the best chance of earning a coin by trading in Engrams at the Tower. However, it's worth holding onto Engrams until you reach a higher level to earn a potentially better reward.The different ways you can earn Strange Coins are:
- Trading in rare Engrams to the Cryptarch
- Completing Strikes (particularly the later ones on Venus)
- Crucible matches
- Completing weekly Heroic (3-9 coins depending on difficulty)
- Enemy drops (but very rarely)
- Weekly Nightfall Strike
- Public Events
Where can you spend Strange Coins?
Everyone's asking where do I spend my Strange Coins!? Patience people, all good things to those who wait.
The Black Market vendor only appears at the weekend, Friday morning is the start time (Europe time) and he's gone by Sunday morning.
This gives you enough time to earn Coins midweek and then spend them on Exotic weapons ready for the following weeks Raid. Remember you can only equip one Exotic weapon and one Exotic piece of Armour at a time.
You'll find the Black Market vendor at the Tower along with the other Vendors but this guy is downstairs in the lower level (exact location tutorial further down). His name is Xur, The Agent of the Nine
and he sells Exotic weapons, gear and Exotic Engrams. You'll need a minimum of 7 Strange Coins to buy anything.Update:
Xur will be in a different place every week, but he will always be in the Tower.Important:
Xur sells one piece of gear in each class, in a random slot. This gear refreshes every week giving you the chance to view/buy different sets every weekend. He also sells customizations for your Speeder Bike such as drift and speed, as well as Exotic Engrams for a chance to gamble your way to Exotic gear in exchange for Motes of Light.
Location of the Xur, Agent of Nine
From the Tower spawn point follow these steps:Week 1 (12th Sept - 14th Sept)
1. Head towards the Bounty board
2. Go down the stairs under the Bounty board
3. Once you reach the lower level hall, turn and face left
4. The Agent of Nine should be in front of you
Week 2 (19th Sept - 21st Sept)
- No Backup Plans
- Mask of the Third Man
- Red Death
1. Turn left and head towards the Tower North
2. Follow the corridor downstairs and to the left
3. Head towards the Speak and Xur is downstairs
Week 3 (26th Sept - 28th Sept)
- Lucky Raspberry
- Helm of Inmost Light
1. Turn right and head towards the Tower Hanger entrance
2. Follow the corridor down to the Hanger
3. Go straight at the bottom of the stairs towards the Future War Cult
4. Xur is at the back of the room near the seats
Week 4 (3rd Oct - 5th Oct)
- Chest of Alpha Lupi
- Knucklehead Radar
- Apotheosis Veil
- Suros Regime
Found near the 3 Vanguard mentors, in the hall below the Bounty Tracker.
Week 5 (10th Oct - 12th Oct)
- Red Death (23)
- Helm of Saint-14 (13)
- Achlyophage Symbiote (13)
- Sunbreakers (13)
- Exotic Helm Engram (23 motes)
Found next to the Speakers room, over by the railings.
Week 6 (17th Oct - 19th Oct)
- Helm of Inmost Light (Titan Helmet) - 13 coins
- Lucky Raspberry (Hunter Chest Armor) - 13 coins
- Voidfang Vestments (Warlock Chest Armor) - 13 coins
- Ice Breaker (Exotic Special Weapon) - 17 coins
- Engram (Helmet type) - 23 Motes of Light
First right at the Hanger entrance.
- The Armamentarium (Titan Chest Armor) - 13 Strange Coins
- Achlyophage Symbiote (Hunter Helmet) - 13 Strange Coins
- Light Beyond Nemesis (Warlock Helmet) - 13 Strange Coins
- Truth (Rocket Launcher) - 17 Strange Coins
- Exotic Engram (Body) - 23 Motes of Light