Titanfall 2 - All Titan Classes
Posted in titanfall
Titanfall 2 contains more than a handful of new Titans for players to experience in the game. In this post I'll cover all of the known Titans, explaining their unique strengths, abilities and how to unlock them.
Respawn have taken all of the original Titans (Atlas, Ogre, and Stryder), melted them down for scrap and replaced the mechs with a brand new collection for the sequel.
Our first taste of the new Titans came with the Technical Test, two months before the games official launch date. Only two Titans were included at that stage: Ion and Scorch. Both are early game models, with low to medium Difficulty ratings - perfect for getting started or your first Titanfall experience.
Come the full game and another 4 Titans are included. We knew that a sword wielding Titan was on the cards thanks to the Titanfall 2 trailer which surfaced earlier in the year. Another two mystery Titans, hidden behind a series of unlocks and the single player campaign, are the ones players really want to use.
Let's take a look at each of the Titans in the game...
Ion is the lowest tier Titan with a one star Difficulty rating. New players will feel comfortable using this Titan because he's easy to control, nimble and has a very respectable collection of weapons. His primary weapon is the Splitter Rifle - a fully automatic plasma rifle.Primary Weapon
- Splitter Rifle.Abilities
- Laser Core - fires an intense and focused laser beam that causes massive damage.
- Laser Shot - a single shot of a concentrated laser that's very effective when waiting for the Splitter to reload
- Vortex Shield - the standard defensive shield that can accumulate and reflect enemy fire
- Tripwire - deployable trap that creates three markers with a laser trip wire connecting them. This is great for entrapping enemy Titans and is also very effective against pilots.
Scorch is described as a "battlefield controller" thanks to his intense incendiary delivery. With a Difficulty rating of two, Scorch is slower than Ion and his Thermite Launcher is a single shot weapon. When compared to Ion's rapidfire Splitter Rifle, players need good accuracy to make the most of Scorch.Primary Weapon
- Thermite LauncherAbilities
- Flame Core - launchers a wave of fire that burns targets that get in the way
- Firewall - fires a single line of fire across the ground
- Thermal Shield - a defensive shield that melts enemy fire and damages nearby enemies
- Indendary Trap - deploys canister traps that explode into a shower of fire
Ronin is one of the most exciting Titans to grace the game. Although armed with a powerful shotgun, Ronin keeps his best weapon in reserve. Once the core ability is fully charged, players can activate the Sword Core to equip a ninja like sword that deals devastating damage - everything then becomes an impressive martial art spectacle!Primary Weapon
- Leadwall ShotgunAbilities
- Sword Score - arms Ronin with the martial arts sword
- Arc Wave - initiates an electric wave that damages and slows enemies
- Sword Block - reduces incoming damage, can be used indefinitely
- Phase Dash - a quick dash move that temporarily warps Ronin out of the map to avoid taking damage
Tone is one of the higher level unlocks in Titanfall 2 whos primary weapon is the 40mm Tracker Cannon which has semi-auto explosive rounds that establish partial locks. His offensive ability is a rocket launch, similar to the rocket launch ability in the original game.Primary Weapon
- 40mm Tracker CannonAbilities
- Salvo Core - launches a stream of rockets that home in on Tones current target but also allow the player to control them in-flight
- Tracker Rockets - launches a small stream of rockets that home in on fully locked on enemies
- Sonar Lock - reveals Titans in the area and achieves a semi-lock state
- Particle Wall - places a shield in front of Tone that she can still shoot through
A offensive Titan designed to hold the front line thanks to it's overwhelming attack capabilities. Armed with the Predator Cannon, Legion can dominate areas with this powerful mini-gun so long as players compensate for it's slow windup time. Once Legions core ability, Smart Core, is activated the Predator weapon becomes even more effective, automatically locking onto anything in range.
In my experience so far, Legion's weapon is very powerful but boy does it take a hell of a long time to spin up. By that time the other Titan has dashed way out of sight or simply gone round behind you. If you're in a group providing support then Legion is a killer but alone he's just too slow to get going.Primary Weapon
- Predator Cannon.Abilities
- Smart Core - upgrades the Predator primarily weapon so it locks onto enemies
- Power Shot - versitle attack that knocks back enemies at close range or inflicts damage at long range
- Mode Switch - switches between short or long range precision rounds
- Gun Shield - a protective shield is deployed from the Predator Cannon
Northstar is a female Titan that comes with an intriguing "Flight Core" ability that allows this Titan to hover above the surface and rain down a parade of missiles to the unsuspecting Titans and pilots below. This proves extremely useful for tactically shooting over buildings or from behind cover as an ambush style attack.
Her primary weapon is the Plasma railgun which charges up while zoomed. So far I have found that the railgun is way OP, allowing you to still dash while aiming down sights. Roughly 3-4 shots with this weapon and an enemy Titan is doomed. Northstar's weakness is a combination of no shield tactical, weak health and slow 360 degree rotation while aiming.Primary Weapon
- Plasma railgun.Abilities
- Flight core - hover overhead, unleashing rockets at ground targets
- Cluster Missle - fires a barrage of missiles that explode on impact
- VTOL Hover - vertical takeoff hover
- Tether trap - traps titans that are caught in its web